GUIDE / SALT WATER POOL
Salt Pool Opening – Instructions
Here are some tips to help you efficiently open your salt pool!
Step 1: Remove the cover
- If a solid pool cover is used, drain the water from the top of the cover using a submersible pump. Remove as many leaves and other debris as possible. A leaf catcher is a handy tool to have if there is an abundance of leaves and debris. The more water and debris you remove, the easier it will be to remove the liner.
TIP: To make removing the liner easier, you can start filling the pool by placing your garden hose under the liner. This will raise the water level in the pool. It will be much easier to remove the last of the remaining water and debris.
- Try to minimize water and/or debris that may fall back into the pool water. It is inevitable that some of the dirty water will manage to get back in, so don’t worry. Using a Pristiva pool opener kit to detoxify and deep clean your pool will take care of that problem in no time.
- If a safety or mesh cover was used, simply unhook the connections and remove it from the pool.
- Whatever type of mesh cover was used, once removed from the pool, spread it out on a flat, clean surface. Clean it as needed.
Step 2: Prepare the pool:
- Once the liner is removed
- Prepare the skimmer by removing all winterization devices such as plugs, foam rope and gizmos. Reconnect the pump and return lines. Retighten any collars or fittings (if applicable).
- Don’t worry about removing the antifreeze Dazzle Premiumthat was used at closing. It is non-toxic and breaks down easily if there is any in the pool water. If Dazzle Premium antifreeze was not used and you are unsure of the type of antifreeze used, a vacuum should be used to remove as much antifreeze as possible and dispose of it safely.
- Reinstall all parts of the skimmer to make it functional, including the basket and weir (also called the flapper door). Check for broken or missing parts. If so, they need to be replaced (make a list).
- Remove the plugs from the return water lines and reinstall the fittings (jets). When reinstalling the return fittings, do not over tighten and always position the directional eye down at a 45° angle. If possible, point them in a circular motion to maximize circulation (i.e., point them all down and slightly to the right or left). If you don’t tighten the returns too much, you have the ability to easily change directions throughout the season.
- Reinstall drain plugs on all pool equipment. Lubricate the plugs and O-rings with a silicone-based lubricant such as Jacks Magic Lube and reinstall them.
- Replace the pump strainer basket and lubricate the O-ring around the cover.
- Replace the manometer(s) and the glass bottle on the filter. Reconnect the backwash line if it is disconnected. If it is a DE cartridge or filter, reinstall the elements/cartridges.
- The salt cell was probably disconnected and stored inside during shutdown. Reconnect the cell but do not turn on the system. A salt cell produces chlorine once the water temperature reaches 20°C (68°F). It is also important that the salt level in the water be tested and adjusted before use. With the draining and filling of water through the open/close process, it is likely that the salt level will need to be adjusted before the system can be turned on
TIP: Installing a salt cell dummy may be a good solution. This will allow the salt, unbalanced water to come in contact with the salt cell
- Perform a final check of all equipment and connections to make sure they are properly connected, the correct parts are back in place and nothing is missing.
Tip: Lubricate the pump’s O-ring with a silicone-based lubricant like Jack’s Magic Lube. This will ensure a good seal.
- Replace any equipment you have, such as ladders, handrails, diving boards, etc. Be sure to connect any grounding wires or straps that may have been attached to metal parts.
Tip: Lubricate all bolts on the diving board, ladders and/or handrails. This will keep them from rusting during the summer, making it easier for you to close the pool.
- Fill the pump with water and prime it. Always start a sand filter in the « Drain/Waste » position. Start the pump and check the system for leaks or drips. After a few moments, stop the pump and put it in the « Flush » position. After a few moments, use the « Backwash » position and finally, in the « Filter » position. Check that the flow is correct in each of these positions and that there are no leaks.
- At this point, you can run a sweeper and brush the pool surfaces.
- If you have a , you can follow the instructions and begin the treatment.
For the following, you will need a Pristiva Salt Pool Opening Kit.
- Prevent stains, scale formation, cloudy water and algae with Pristiva Primer. If the pump and filter are working, apply it slowly into a clean skimmer. One bottle will treat up to 80,000 liters.
- Remove organic waste that has built up over the winter with Pristiva Premium Shock. If pump and filter are working, apply slowly into clean skimmer immediately after application of Pristiva Primer. If the system does not work, the product can be sprinkled into the deep end of the pool. Brush the pool immediately after applying Pristiva Primer and Premium Shock. Don’t do any backwash for 24 hours!
- If you need a deep clean or an even quicker clarification, use the Super Pacs by Jack’s Magic. Add 1 bag to the skimmer. Do not backwash for 24 hours!
- Once you’ve opened with Pristiva, you are now ready to continue with the Pristiva System ( video here! )for salt pools all season long. Simply repeat the Pristiva Primer and Premium Shock applications at the beginning of each month for total protection.
Tip: run the system continuously for at least 24 hours before sampling and bringing your water for the first test of the season.
Your pool water is well balanced to start the season off right. Proper water balance is essential to ensure the protection of your pool surfaces, equipment, salt system and bathers. Plus, it saves you money and prevents future problems.
Start the season off right with Pristiva, here’s a promo code applicable on the starter kit! Click here!
Promotion Code: PRISTIVAPROMO84127